The Defense Industrial Base (DIB) was one of many critical sectors put on notice this year as cybersecurity becomes more essential to business operations. We now know that Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) 2.0 will soon take effect, so the clock is ticking to make adjustments before the consequences become more severe.
At CyberSheath, we’ve been offering guidance to federal contractors looking to act imminently. While compliance seems daunting, you don’t need to implement all the controls at once. We shared strategies and best practices and spoke with industry leaders at CMMC CON 2023.
We also sought to better understand the DIB and its challenges by commissioning a new report from Merrill Research. Only 36% of respondents even submitted Supplier Performance Risk System (SPRS) scores — the DIB has a ways to go in achieving compliance, but we’re going to help it get there.
Increasingly, CyberSheath is seen as an industry leader for cybersecurity managed services. This year, we were able to provide insight to reporters who are investigating how the security landscape is changing, and its effect on national security.
Here’s a look at some of the stories we’ve added commentary to in 2023:
- Bloomberg: When a Chinese bank was targeted by the LockBit ransomware gang, reporters turned to CyberSheath CEO Eric Noonan to provide insight.
- The Hill: Eric also explained the growing threat that adversaries like China pose, and why mandatory minimum cybersecurity standards can help safeguard our intellectual property and military advancements.
- MarketWatch: TikTok was a big story this year, and CEO Shou Zi Chew was brought to Congress to testify. Eric shone the light on how the government reacted to privacy concerns.
- CNBC: He also recognized what would likely happen if TikTok’s parent company continued to push new apps to U.S. audiences.
- Nextgov/FCW: Contractors often cite the cost of implementing new technologies as a roadblock to compliance, but Eric believes the market will soon get past that.
- IT Brew: The study we commissioned Merrill Research to conduct showed just how behind federal contractors are in CMMC compliance.
It wasn’t just print journalists looking for our input. News networks are also interested in hearing CyberSheath CEO Eric Noonan share his expertise. Here are some of the top TV hits of the year:
- CNN: Eric joined Kim Brunhuber to speak about the cyberattacks Russia has levied, especially against Ukraine.
- FOX Business: Generative AI dominated the news cycle this year, and Eric explained how threat actors may use the technology maliciously.
- CNN: Eric joined John Vause to discuss how Chinese operatives are using AI to create disinformation.
- CNN: John had Eric back on the explain the risks of the 23andMe hack that affected nearly 7 million customers.
Heading into 2024, the stakes have been raised. Cyberattacks are more frequent and severe. It’s not just common thieves pulling off these heists, it’s America’s adversaries like China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran. That heightened risk means every sector needs to up the ante on improving its security posture and CyberSheath is here to help.
Learn more about how our security services can help you prepare for the threats of today and tomorrow.